Archive for June, 2010
Beirut inaugurated its first bike trail a few weeks ago.
Although it is a small loop inside the city, and that it is only opened for a few hours on Sundays, it is nevertheless a small step forward towards a green and sustainable transport mentality in the ‘my car is bigger than yours’ society, and a victory for the bikers in Lebanon.
According to The Daily Star, this bike lane covers Tripoli Street of the Beirut Souks and Patriarch Howayek Street.
Here is an illustrative map for those who have no clue where those streets are
What I saw in the Green Festival
- Auspen: The World’s Eco-friendly whiteboard marker
- E-cycle: a program that provides free recycling of computers and other electronics. Goodwill is partnering with them. ecyclewashington.org
- Marcal: a company making 100% recycled paper products (tissues, napkins, toilet paper, ..) tissues and toilet paper with 100% recycled www.marcalsmallsteps.com
- Canvas Dreams: a small company based in Oregon providing sustainable web hosting canvasdreams.com
- Sleeping Lady: a mountain resort in the Cascades. Their business card has flower seeds in it and can be planted sleepinglady.com
- Birchware: naturally green, 100% compostable cutlery www.birchware.com
- Haymarket Books: a seemingly socialist/communist publishing house haymarketbooks.org
- Fungi Perfecti: a company selling edible mushrooms. I’m definitely getting one of their products! fungi.com
- Zipcar: who still owe me a $25 credit from my subscription started last year Didn’t they just get purchased ? zipcar.com
- Yes! Magazine: handing out calendars and past issues to people that subscribe (I did) yesmagazine.org
- 2012 Time for Change: a film by Joao Amorim, with some times to transcendental meditation
- B Green: one of a number of companies selling organic clothing items bgreenorganicapparel.com
- Organic Consumers: a consumer guide to organic body care products organicconsumers.org
- Garden Cycles: an organization protecting the Washington forests from invading weeds and ivy gardencycles.com
- Alchemy Goods: A Seattle company selling accessories (bags, wallets, ..) made of recycled bicycle tires alchemygoods.com Read the rest of this entry »
Teams from Lebanon, Egypt and Yemen named 2010 winners by MIT Business Plan Competition, with $75,000 in hand to launch new venture
The iPad. With a revolutionary, 9.7 inch touch screen, and amazing new apps, it does things no tablet PC, netbook, or e-reader could.